The Ghana Police Service has officially informed the Ghana Football Association (GFA) that the Police Administration has requested for a “full report” on investigations conducted into the unfortunate shooting incident which occurred at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium in Kumasi some months ago.
This is a follow-up on an earlier letter sent to the office of the Inspector General of Police (IGP) from the GFA General Secretary, Prosper Harrison Addo, on May 11, 2020, seeking an update on investigations into the said incident.
A letter signed by COP Maame Yaa Tiwaa Addo-Danquah, a Director-General at the Police Headquarters in Accra and addressed to the President of the GFA upon a directive by the Inspector General of Police (IGP) stated:
“The Police Administration has requested for full report on the alleged shooting of a football fan at the Baba Yara Stadium. You would be informed of latest development in due course.”
It would be recalled that on January 13, 2020, a fan of Asante Kotoko – identified as Augustine Opoku, a commercial driver – was allegedly shot by an unnamed Police Officer at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium in Kumasi following crowed violence that erupted after a Ghana Premier League game against Berekum Chelsea.
The Ghana Police Service suspended the said officer immediately after the incident pending an investigation.
The Ghana Football Association is committed to working closely with the Ghana Police Service to protect lives and property at all league centres.
Former Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah has said he is being treated in a way no white coach in Africa would be as he awaits salary arrears totalling nearly $200,000 from his time in charge of the Black Stars.
Appiah’s second spell in charge of Ghana, which started in April 2017, ended at the turn of the year.
The Ministry of Youth and Sports says it will pay the money “soon”, blaming the delay on the coronavirus pandemic.
“I was owed money since August 2019 when there was no Covid-19,” Appiah told BBC Sport Africa. “Would they owe a white coach for 11 months?”
The 59-year-old, who has previously said he feels ‘disrespected’ by the way his case is being handled, says he is owed $185,000, most of which covers five months’ unpaid salary.
“(My predecessor) Avram Grant was not owed more than a month when his contract ended,” Appiah explained.
The reason the Israeli, who led the Black Stars between 2014-2017, was not paid at that time was because he had yet to file a report on the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations on time, but his arrears were swiftly settled once he did.
In recent times, some white coaches in Africa – such as Nigeria’s Gernot Rohr – have not been paid on time while others, such as Botswana coach Adel Amrouche, who holds both Algerian and Belgian citizenship, is still awaiting payment from an old job.
Appiah simply wants this practice of late payments should end for good.
“It’s not right and should not be encouraged – irrespective of whether (the coach is) local or foreign,” he added.
BBC Sport Africa understands that it is not just Appiah awaiting salary for his role with Ghana, but the country’s current national youth team coaches as well.
Both the U17 and U23 coaches declined to comment but U20 coach Karim Zito confirmed that he is owed money.
Zito, a former international, was first drafted into the coaching set-up of Ghana’s youth teams in 2013 when he was assistant coach for the Under-23 team and says this is a familiar tale.
“We had only collected our salaries for three months when we received a letter stating that we will no longer be paid – no reason was given,” Zito told BBC Sport Africa.
“I was appointed as coach of the (Under-20) national team in January this year but I am being owed. I will attribute the failure of to pay our salaries to the coronavirus pandemic.”
Coronavirus claim
Appiah’s outstanding payment of $185,000 equates to five times his monthly salary of $35,000 in addition to a $10,000 bonus for beating Sao Tome prior to his contract expiring in December 2019.
Kofi Asare Brako, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Youth and Sports, has blamed the failure to pay the outstanding salary on the coronavirus pandemic causing a financial constraint on the ministry.
“The salary of the head coach of the Black stars has always been paid through a sponsorship package, and it is unfortunate this has now dragged into the period of the coronavirus pandemic,” Kofi Asare told BBC Sport Africa.
Image captionKwesi Appiah returned as Ghana coach on a two-year contract in 2019
“We have paid him for the two-year contract period of 24 months. What is left is the extended contract period of eight months, of which we have already paid three months.”
“We are still in touch with the former coach and in no time we will pay him. Soon, all money will be paid to Appiah.”
The coach, who also led Ghana at the 2014 World Cup, has told BBC Sport he is prepared to take his claim to football’s world governing body Fifa if he does not receive his money soon.
“I gave the GFA a three-month deadline (earlier this year) but neither the GFA nor the Sports ministry have met with me,” Appiah said.
Brako has refuted Appiah’s claims.
“I can say categorically that the chief accountant of the Ministry of Youth and Sports has been in constant communication with Appiah,” Brako added.
“We are still in talks with him. If we have to structure a payment plan, we will do that but if he insists we have to pay all at once we have no choice but to do it.”
The Ministry of Youth and Sports has not given an exact timeframe as to when Appiah’s salary will be paid but Brako assures it will paid ‘soon’.
Appiah’s contract was not renewed following his team’s disappointing outing at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations where the Black Stars exited in the Round of 16.
Ghana were the first team to ever reach four Nations Cup titles but have not won the trophy since 1982.
The Ghana Football Association Executive Council will vote on 30 June 2020 to decide on the fate of the 2019-20 football season contrary to reports that the season has been truncated by the hierarchy of the Association.
Media reports suggested the ExCo unanimously voted to cancel the season in a meeting on Tuesday.
But sources close to Kumasi-based Oyerepa FM has said that, the voting will take place at the end of this month.
The FA met yesterday via video conference but a decision could not be taken after several hours of deliberations.
Ghanaian Football gem Mathew Anim Cudjoe has been praised by Bayern Munchen’s U-16 coach and former Ghana star Christian Saba for his great exploits.
The Asante Kotoko wonderkid recently spent few days with the German champions where he trained with the youth team for two weeks earlier this year.
Christian Saba, who has over 25 years experience with the Bavarian youth side told godfred.substack.com he first saw the young talent when Hearts of Oak played against Asante Kotoko in the 2019-20 Ghana Premier League, which has been suspended due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Ghanaians should protect that kid. I did not know much about him until the Kotoko and Hearts game. Once he touched the ball I knew he was a good talent.”
The former Ghana FIFA U17 world cup winner disclosed that he was not aware that Anim Cudjoe was heading to Bayern Munich until he was informed by his colleagues.
“I did not even know he was heading to Bayern until members of the technical team called to ask if I knew about him. Talent like his comes once in while. We are watching.”
Sabah was among the Technical staff who assessed Cudjoe’s development during the two-week stay.
Former Western Regional Football Association chairman, Kojo Yankah has indicated that Hon. Kennedy Agyapong is not the right person to tell football people candidate they should elect to lead the Ghana Football Association.
The controversial politician has shockingly disclosed that he will never invest in Ghana football because his friend George Afriyie was not elected to lead the Association during the 2019 Ghana Football Association Presidential election.
But Yankah believes Kennedy Agyapong should keep mute since he has never done anything to support the growth of football in the country.
“It’s unfortunate Kennedy Agyapong will say that.Since I started doing football, it’s been almost 30 years and Ken has never supported football before,” he told Skyy FM.
“So why has he come out to say since we did not vote for his candidate he won’t support football, when he hasn’t even supported football before.
“And Ken cannot dictate to us as to who we should vote for!
“Why should you say since we didn’t vote for George Afriyie, you won’t give us money?
“Meanwhile you have never done that before. He has to retract that statement if he really said that.”
Ivorian import Eric Dizan has said he wants to contribute to the success of Accra side Hearts of Oak and that he will do all within his means to leave a good imprint at the club.
The winger was signed during the last transfer window and, he immediately wants to make an impact with the Phobians for the faith shown in him.
The 26-year-old has joined on a three-year deal and is looking forward to returning to training when the all-clear is given for football to return following the outbreak of the coronavirus.
“Accra Hearts of Oak is one of the biggest clubs in Africa and it feels proud to be part of this family” Dizan told Hearts Media, adding that he is here to succeed.
“I want to repay the faith shown in me since the first day I arrived at training and together with my teammates, I believe we have a squad that can win laurels”, he said.
Dizan featured for three clubs in Cote d’Ivoire RC Bettie, Ivoire Academie Abidjan and Stade Abidjan before his arrival in Ghana and, he aims to be a handful for many sides when football returns.
Coach Edward Odoom speaks highly of him as he said in a recent interview and, his new teammates also speak highly of him with some describing him as the most skillful player in the team.
Former Asante Kotoko supporters Chief, Kwaku Amponsah ‘K5’ has kicked against assertion that the club should avoid appointing someone with Hearts connections as Chief Executive Officer, picking Nana Yaw Amponsah for the Kotoko top job ahead of George Afriyie.
The board of the Porcupine Warriors disbanded the George Amoakoh led management and is on the verge of forming new management team.
Reports suggest the club is likely to appoint either Nana Yaw Amponsah or George Afriyie for the vacant position. However, a section of the supporters has admonished the board not to appoint Nana Yaw Amponsah because they see him as a Hearts fan.
But reacting to it, Kwaku Amponsah indicated that he disagrees with those saying the club should not settle on someone with Hearts Of Oak connections.
“I don’t agree with the assertion that we shouldn’t appoint someone with Hearts affiliation for the CEP job. People with Hearts connected have helped us a lot. Didi Dramani is a Hearts fan but he helped us clinched the league title,” he told Kumasi-based Oyerepa FM.
“I understand CK Akonnor too has slashed the debt owed him; he is a Hearts fan too.
“For me, I will pick Nana Yaw Amponsah ahead of George Afriyie for the Kotoko CEO.”
The board of Directors of the club is scheduled to hold their second meeting Thursday.
Controversial football administrator Takyi Arhin believes he has the needed credentials to lead Asante Kotoko.
According to the former Berekum Arsenals and Berlin FC General Manager, he has acquired the requisite experience to lead the Porcupine Warriors.
The board Chairman recently dissolved the George Amoakoh led management and the newly-constituted board will soon appoint a fresh team to steer the day-to-day activities of the Ghanaian giants.
“I’ve been to Dormaa, Berekum, and Techiman and can cross any river in Ghana. If the new CEO comes and he is interested in working with me, why not, ” Arhin told Kumasi-based OTEC FM
“Kotoko is a heavier club and needs those with the nitty-gritty of football to run the club.
”The problem in Kotoko is not about financial but a managerial acumen.”
Former Chairman and player of Cornerstone Babies Nana Fitz has blamed city rivals Asante Kotoko and Cornerstone management as the cause of the team’s downfall.
The Kumasi-based club turned 89 years today but has nothing to celebrate looking at the sorry state of the club currently.
Cornerstone Babies have been in the wilderness for long as the club has struggled to deal with recurrent management issues. They currently play in the Division Two league.
However, reports picked indicate they could not register players for the current season which has been suspended due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The club is now unattractive due to unnecessary troubles from supporters of the club and other stakeholders.
However, the veteran football administrator Nana Fitz insists the hire of the Porcupine Warriors has been ‘wicked’ towards the club.
“Asante Kotoko is a wicked club,Asante Kotoko has being wicked to Cornerstone, we gave them all our best players but when we needed them most,they turned deaf ears and failed to help us,” he told Kumasi-based Oyerepa FM Tuesday.
“They treated us “badly”.
“I can’t rule out mismanagement and our supporters, they will insult everyone who is given the mandate to steer affairs of the club.
He also advised the supporters of the club to eschew insults and support the current handlers of the club.
“No one wants to come on board because of the supporters’ attitude ,I pray they eschew insults.”