Home Blog Page 881

I will not advice any young player to play for Hearts Of Oak – Joe Tagoe

0

Former Hearts of Oak forward, Joe Tagoe has shockingly revealed that he will not advice young players who approach him as to which club to play for, to choose his former club.

According to him, the current administration lacks the technical know-how to help players get to the top in their careers.

In an interview with Accra-based Ashaiman TV, ‘Bobby Short’ says he will nit advice any player to join the Rainbow Club to face the same problems he and other colleagues faced during their era.

“The managements of Hearts of oak are not good in terms of managing a club. At first, when playing football, your first motive is to play for Hearts or Kotoko,”

“We have learnt our lessons now and we wouldn’t want the next generation to fall victim. I’ll not advice young players who come to me for advise, to play for Hearts,”

Tagoe is not the only ex-player of Hearts of Oak to remark negatively about their former employers.

The diminutive playmaker wants the current managers of the club to invite him to peruse why he and some former players are bad-mouthing the record holders of the FA Cup.

It is never wrong to have sex before matches – Ex-Berekum Chelsea striker Stephen Sarfo

0

Sex before matches is never wrong – Stephen Sarfo

Former Berekum Chelsea striker Stephen Sarfo is the latest to join express his opinion on sex before matches, and he has indicated that he sees no wrong with players having sex before games.

Earlier this week, CAF Medical Officer, Dr. Prince Pamboe disclosed that players can have sex with their partners before games because it will not affect their performance on the field.

The 2017 WAFU top scorer believes that people should change their mindset about sex before matches.

“I am not a married man and I haven’t experienced that before but I think it’s where we coming from (our culture) that makes some people think it’s wrong”, he told Wontumi FM.

“It’s people’s perception that when you have sex before match things wouldn’t go well for you as a player which is not right”

“I won’t encourage that but I also don’t think it’s a bad practice too.”, he added.

Ajax part ways with Kevin Owusu Asare

0

Dutch giants Ajax Amsterdam have released winger Kevin Owusu Asare after two years together.

Owusu, 23, joined Ajax from RKC Waalwijk in the summer of 2018 but only featured for the amateur side of the Dutch champions in the fourth-tier as he failed to progress to the senior team.

Despite being a promising player at Waalwijk, Owusu could not find his feet at the fold of the Amateurs and he has now been sent packing after his contract came to an end.

The Graphic Sports Online understands that Owusu has already signed pre-contract FC Purmersteljn and will join them officially on July 1, 2020.

Owusu has previously featured for Volendam where he made a huge impression at their youth ranks and was sought after by all the big teams in the Netherlands.

He was born to Ghanaian parents in the Dutch town of Volendam and holds both Dutch and Ghanaian passports although he is yet to be capped by both countries at any level.

By Edmund Okai Gyimah

Renowned Ghanaian sports journalist Gary Al-Smith tests positive for COVID-19

0

Ace Ghanaian sports journalist with media giants Multimedia, Gary Al-Smith has tested positive for coronavirus.

Gary is reported to be one of five staff of the Multimedia Group Limited to have contracted coronavirus case .

A statement from the group noted that the affected employees who are all asymptomatic have been isolated in line with case management protocols.

“This is to inform you that five (5) members of our team at our business offices in Accra who were contact traced and tested by the Ghana Health Service (GHS) have tested positive for the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).”

“The affected team members, who were all asymptomatic, have been isolated in line with case management protocols. Officials of the Ghana Health Service are monitoring them and we can report that they are all hale and hearty and are responding well to treatment,” the statement said.

Al-Smith is currently on admission at the University of Ghana Medical Centre.

Hearts Of Oak considering two venues for their training when work at Pobiman begins

0

Accra Hearts Of Oak are considering either using the Legon Sports Stadium or the Madina Astro Turf for training when work begins at Pobiman.

The Board Chairman of the club Togbe Afede XIV revealed Monday that the ultra-modern facility is set to commence on next week after a long wait.

The Phobians have been holding training sessions at Pobiman and with the project set to begin, Oyerepa FM Sports report the hierarchy is considering relocating to one of the facilities mentioned.

Work at Pobiman is expected to take five months, Accra to board Chairman Togbe Afede XIV.

I cannot take up Kotoko CEO job now – George Afriyie

0

Former Ghana Football Association Vice-President George Afriyie has ruled himself out of the Asante Kotoko Chief Executive Officer role, noting that he is not available for the enviable vacant position currently.

The Planners Athletic Club President, was heavily linked with the Kotoko CEO role after their management led by George Amoako was disbanded last week. Afriyie is a known Kotoko fan and it would be recalled that he travelled with the team during their Caf Confederation Cup campaign last year when their played Nkana FC.

Reports indicated that the newly-constituted board of the Porcupine Warriors were deciding between him and Nana Yaw Amponsah for the job.

But, the 2017 WAFU tournament Organising Committee Chairman, has stated that his personal commitments will not permit him to take up the role.

Below is a statement released by Afriyie.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

I have taken notice of several online publications and radio station reports linking me to the vacant Kotoko Chief Executive Officer post. I must admit that it is truly an amazing feeling to be linked to such a top position within the hierarchy of Ghana’s greatest club.

I am blessed to have personal relationships with His Royal Majesty ‘The Wise King’ Otumfuo Osei Tutu II and the Board chairman Dr Kwame Kyei. They are truly priceless. I am also fortunate to share such an unbreakable bond with some part of the Kotoko fraternity.

In the aftermath of the GFA Presidential elections I received several calls from Kotoko faithfuls and followers urging me to consider taking up the position of the CEO of the club. I still continue to receive such calls and messages on a daily basis.

Kotoko is a great club and would want to serve one day. But, I want to state that I have currently taken up a commitment which would not permit me to take up the role.

I urge all (both the media and the sporting public) to respect the decision of the Great One – Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, who in his wisdom has appointed the board to enact policies and steer the affairs of the club. I am of the strong conviction that the board is made up of highly competent individuals who have unquestionable expertise to make the right choices for the club.

Let us continue to stay safe and observe all the COVID-19 protocols.

FAABU! WO KUM APEM A APEM BE BA

Best regards,

George Afriyie.

Sports Ministry makes part payment of Kwesi Appiah’s salary arrears

0

The Ministry of Youth and Sports has made part payment of the 5 months salary arrears it owes former Black Stars Coach Kwasi Appiah.

The 61-year-old ex-Ghana captain has been Paid two months Salary- $70,000 from the total $185,000 owed him from his two and half years contract to coach the Black Stars

The payment forms part of an agreement both parties reached earlier on for the Ministry to clear the entire arrears.

It is however, unclear when the remainder of the money will be paid to the coach who lead Ghana to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil 2014.

The Ministry came under intense pressure after the coach threatened to report the Ghana Football Association to the world’s football governing body – FIFA.

The current Ghana Football Association hierarchy decided against renewing Appiah’s contract when it expired December last year.

Mexican side Tijuana beat Santos Laguna to sign Ghanaian midfielder Clifford Aboagye

0

Mexican side Club Tijuana have completed the signing of Ghanaian midfielder Clifford Aboagye on a free transfer, the club has announced. 

The 25-year-old enterprising midfielder joins the side after deciding against extending his loan contract at Querétaro after it expired.

Aboagye becomes the latest African import to join the Xolos in the transfer window as a free agent following his contract expiration at Atlas FC.

The former Inter Allies midfielder was linked with a move to Liga MX giants Santos Laguna with  Club Necaxa also believed to be interested in his signature.

However, Club Tijuana have surprisingly beaten the two teams by signing the talented former Granada midfielder on a permanent deal.

After being awarded with the Bronze Ball at the FIFA U20 World Cup in 2013, Aboagye moved from Inter Allies FC to Italian side Udinese Calcio.

He later joined Spanish side Granada FC in the 2013/2014 season after spending only a season in Italy.

Aboagye was then loaned to Atlas FC after two seasons with Granada FC.

Having had an explosive spell in his first season, his move to Mexico was made permanent in 2017/2018 campaign.

Kotoko striker Naby Keita reveals darkest moment in his career; narrates how an ankle injury ruined a move to Lorient

0

Asante Kotoko forward Naby Laye Keita has revealed how an ill-fated injury ended his hopes of landing a foreign deal at French side Lorient about seven years ago.

While playing for Guinean top-flight Horoya, he went on trials at Lorient, playing four games and scoring 6 goals in the process.

However, he had to return home for a crucial game for his side and also renew his visa which was expiring.

But unfortunately for him, after winning the said match, Horoya engaged in a friendly ahead of an FA Cup tie which he sustained an ankle injury – leaving him in the treatment room for almost two years.

He narrates to Kotoko Express App how his move to Lorient hit a snag!

“I played very well and the club looked interested but surprisingly did not sign me because they said they had wingers Clinton N’jie from Cameroon and France’s Alhasanne Plea,” Keita reveals.

“My manager was amazed by the decision because he saw from how I performed that I deserved to be signed” continues Keita, who goes on to reveal his next move.” 

“My manager took me to Lorient. I played in four friendly games for the B team and scored six goals. The team was eager to sign me but that was when my fate began to turn.”

Keita reveals further how he ended up in Guinea without signing the contract and why his dream of travelling back into the European country to seal the deal collapsed.

“My visa was dying and so Lorient asked me to come back home and have it renewed. But, the major reason why I needed to return was that Horoya also needed me in a Premier League decider against Satellite FC.”

“I obliged and returned to Guinea. Thankfully, we won that game 2-1 and I scored the winner. I got the visa renewed but did not leave for France immediately because Horoya asked me to wait and play in an upcoming FA Cup game.”

“Once again, I heeded,” Keita says as he purses to give a deep sigh. “Horoya arranged for a friendly game against a Division-One club and it was in that game that my Lorient dream ended.”

“I sustained a bad ankle injury that ended me in a theatre in Morocco for a surgery which was sponsored by Horoya. I spent six months in Morocco and in all was condemned to the sidelines for two good years.”

“It is the darkest moment of my career,” stresses Keita. “I got so distraught. It was even worse for my mother who cried every time any of my team-mates or friends had deals abroad.”

“But all is in the past now,” says Keita who joined the Porcupines in October 2019 after a successful trial.

“God knows why that happened. And I am glad that I am in Kotoko which is not just known in Africa but the world over.”

Falkenbergs’ Ghanaian forward Kwame Kizito ruled out of the rest of 2019/20 season

0

Ghanaian striker Kwame Kizito has been ruled out of Falkenbergs FF’s 2020 season campaign after he sustained a career threatening injury, according to the club’s official website.

The 23-year-old former HeartsOf Oak strikeris reported to have suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury. 

He picked the injury in Falkenbergs FF 1-1 home draw with BK Hacken in the Swedish Allsvenskan at the Falcon Alkoholfri Arena in the 69th minute, which saw him been substituted.

The club’s medical doctor, Sverker Nilsson sadly said that Kizito will be out for eight to twelve months after taking a MRI scan Tuesday evening.

“He [Kwame Kizito] injured the front cruciate ligament and meniscus on the outside of the knee.” 

“Now surgery is first awaited and then rehabilitation for eight to twelve months.” 

“Unfortunately, Kwame Kizito misses the rest of the season. He is sad and does not want to speak in the media,”

 He joined Falkenberg FF earlier this year after ending his season with BK Hacken after the 2019 Swedish Allsvenskan season.

 His contract with Falkenberg FF is set to come November’s a close in November 2021.