Home Blog Page 924

Christian Atsu to represent Newcastle United in first ever ePremierLeague Invitational tournament

0

Christian Atsu Image via nufc.co.uk

Christian Atsu will represent Newcastle United in the inaugural ePremier League Invitational tournament which is taking place on the EA Sports FIFA 20 video game.

The Ghanaian winger will join a host of familiar faces from 19 other clubs in the online esports tournament, with a prize fund being donated to the
#PlayersTogether fund which is geared towards generating funds for NHS charities.

Other players representing their clubs include Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace), André Gomes (Everton) and Diogo Jota (Wolves).

The tournament will begin with a knockout phase streamed live on Sky Sports’ YouTube and Twitch accounts, as well as the Premier League’s online channels, before a grand final – featuring the semi-finals and final – LIVE on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Premier League at 3pm on Sunday 25th April.

Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters said: “The thoughts of everyone at the Premier League are with all those directly affected by COVID-19.

“In response to the pandemic, the League, our clubs and players are providing valuable support for communities and the NHS.

“We are also aware of the importance of finding new ways to entertain fans at this time and we are excited to bring together a strong line-up of players for the ePremier League Invitational tournament.

“With Sky Sports screening the competition live in the UK and many of our international broadcast partners also showing the matches, fans around the world can tune in and enjoy the action. We know how popular FIFA 20 is with players and I am looking forward to seeing who will be crowned the ePL Invitational champion.”

The draw for the ePremier League Invitational takes place live on Sky Sports on Monday 20th April.

The ePL Invitational tournament is operated by esports tournament organisers Gfinity.

Source: nufc.co.uk

Asamoah Gyan: Not winning a trophy with Ghana haunts me a lot

0

Ghana Black Stars General captain, Asamoah Gyan says not winning a trophy,  particularly the Africa Cup Of Nations trophy with Ghana bothers him a lot.

Despite being the all-time leading goalscorer of Ghana’s male senior national team with 51 goals in 109 appearances, Gyan believes that the biggest legacy to leave behind is clinching the Afcon diadem – which has eluded the Black Stars for 38 years.

Ghana have come close to lifting the Afcon twice in 2010 and 2015. The four-time Africa champions picked silver medal in both editions against Egypt and Ivory Coast respectively.

“What bothers me a lot is that I haven’t won a trophy with the Black Stars since 2003,” the 24-year-old who captained Ghana from 2012 to 2019 told Juliet Bawuah of TV3

I’ve gotten the bronze and silver at the Afcon but I want the gold. That is what I haven’t gotten so far and that is what I want.”

Gyan scored a goal on his debut for the Black Stars against Somalia on November 19, 2003. The NorthEast United striker netted on the 90th minute after coming on to replace Isaac Boakye.

Photo credit via Ghanasoccernet

BENARD DONG BORTEY: The Divisive Genius Who Thrived In The Face Of Adversity

0

These are miserable times for football fans. As football takes a break from its typically ferocious and unforgiving lifestyle, it’s a time for fans to reflect and re-live their clubs’ most exciting players and joyful times. 

Football might not actually be more important than life and death, but we really do miss it. 

We at kickgh.com in the last few days have attempted to rewind the clock to a time when certain players hogged the headlines with talents and lit up stadiums. Emmanuel Osei Kuffour, tick. Charles Taylor, tick. Stephen Oduro, tick.

In this piece, we attempt to look at a divisive character regarded by many as the best winger in Ghana’s Premier League era.

There is something that strikes the ventricles of every football aficionado when they witness attacking wing play at its deadliest, exciting and most enthralling.  A quick step-over, drop of the shoulder and skip past the full-back is what dreams are made of.

I may be whetting your appetite but watching a winger bombing down the sidelines is a sight that seems to be from a far-flung climate. Bernard Dong Bortey exhibited all that there is for one to expect from a talented winger. He lights up games with his superb passing, remarkable dribbles, prolific goals all while married to a non chalant action style.

Nicknamed Dada Diouf (name he picked when fans considered his style of play was reminiscent of the Senegalese) Humble Lion and Serial Killer, Bortey was born in Nungua and broke into Tema Ghapoha FC’s first team as a teenager in the late 90s. It was at Ghapoha that Dong Bortey would forge the mental aptitude and the technical ingenuity to become a legend.

Recognition and admiration followed resulting in a move to Ghanaian giants Accra Hearts of Oak. Whenever Dong Bortey played; he made sure people who watched him wouldn’t forget him in a hurry.

His talent and ability earned him a place in Sir Cecil Jones Attuquayefio’s Black Starlets team that participated in the 1999 FIFA World U-17 Championship in New Zealand. It was a golden generation that famously included Michael Essien, Anthony Obodai, Michael Osei and Stephen Oduro. Bortey scored three goals in six games and attracted a lot of potential suitors including Arsenal and Manchester United.

The ultimate big game player, the finesse and imagination with which he placed every shot and every pass with his right foot could have won him gold in a ballet competition. The instep of his boots, if not the epicentre of modern technology in magnetism, could have been the source of paranormal activity, as the control of the football he regularly showed is not something seen in regular humans. 

Goals from outside the box were frequent: volleys, free kicks, driven shots and curling efforts all caused havoc for goalkeepers in the early part of the last two decades decade and this led Bortey not only to international tournaments, but to be proclaimed one of the league’s most talented  wingers/players ever. He contributed in the middle of the pitch as well as out-wide, where his crossing ability was lauded throughout the country. 

Combined with his ferocious pace and directness, Bortey was a threat in a Hearts team that attacked like it was going out of fashion. He won the Ghanaian league title 4x; won the CAF Confederation Cup and won the Ghana Premier league topscorer with 18 goals (A feat he shared with fellow winger and teammate Charles Taylor in 2002). His uncanny blend of sublime technical skills and robust work ethic endeared him not only to his the fans of his steam – but to all who watched him play too.

Off the field, the ‘Humble Lion’ endured unprecedented intrusions into his private and professional life. Tags like thief, voodoo user, trouble maker, cheat among others were accorded him, and he became infamous in the eyes of many a Ghanaian football faithful, dedicating more time to his pranks than to his football.  Maybe to make the perfect player one needs both the ying and the yang, and Dong Bortey’s chiselled jaw was more likely made from steel rather than glass in that he never shied away from standing up for himself. 

For some fans, Dong Bortey represented the very pinnacle of club football. He blended the idea of fantasy and just enough aloofness to keep them glued to their TV sets and also to visit the stadiums on match days. His ability to drift in and out of games and influence proceeding when it was needed most was both unique and frustrating. Frustrating because you can’t help but feel Dong Bortey should have ended his career in the pantheon of true greats. His ability deserved as much.

Bernard Dong Bortey was something of an enigma; a strange, unfathomable contradiction in way he could exhibit purest footballing beauty despite, being in many people’s eyes, being something of an utter lunatic.

Often calumniated and, in many instances underappreciated. Like an unchained animal, Dong Bortey ran riot on Ghanaian football. Under the brightest lights and with a significant amount of adversity, Bortey’s effortless display was one of the finest in the history of the league. 

His quality was indisputable. He had proven to be a magician with the ball, embarrassing defender after defender with his frightening ability to accelerate past players like they weren’t even there. He deserves to be remembered as one of the best to ever lace up a pair of boots.

By: Godfred Budu @godfred_budu on twitter/Kickgh.com

Hearts of Oak sign Ivorian winger Eric Dizan

1

Accra Hearts of Oak have completed the signing of Ivorian import Eric Béranger Dizan Bi Zamblé.

The Phobians, through their Twitter handle announced a three-year deal with the Ivorian winger on Monday after a fruitful discussion.

The 26-year old joins coach Edward Nii Odoom’s charges on a free transfer.

Dizan is expected to bring his huge experience to help improve Hearts’ attack that has not been impressive recently.

He has previously had stints with Stade Abidjan, Ivoire Académie Abidjan and RC Bettié.

Last month, the Phobians signed Niger international Abdourahamane Mamane Lawali.

REVEALED: Kotoko management pleaded to the NCC to buy Latif Anabila

0

Reports reaching footy.ghpush.com/ indicate that the hierarchy of Asante Kotoko pleaded yo to leadership of the National Circles Council to help buy Ashanti Gold's Latif Anabila.

The NCC has been lambasted for publicly disclosing their intention to land the midfielder for the club without the prior knowledge of management.

But according to reports monitored on Oyerepa FM Sports, the National Circles Council’s idea of buying Latif Anabila was borne out of management’s plea to the NCC to help them buy either Bechem United midfielder Yaw Anor or Latif Anabila – who were on the wishlist of head Coach Maxwell Konadu.

The report also stated that the NCC were ready to buy one player and asked management to choose one which they chose Anabila.

The report suggests it took Maxwell Konadu to negotiate with Dr Kwaku Frimpong – Chief Executive Officer of Ashanti Gold – to come down on their demands for the player.

The NCC according to Oyerepa FM sources has agreed with Ashanti Gold old SC on Anabila; a reason they want to meet the Executive chairman Dr Kwame Kyei.

Latif Anabila’s contract is set to end by June.

King Faisal capture midfielder David Owusu Agyei

0

Ghana Premier League side  King Faisal  have acquired the services of midfielder   David Owusu Agyei.

The former Nea Salamina FC midfield dynamo signed a three-year deal with the
Kumasi-based club after a successful negotiation.

Owusu Agyei is expected to play a huge role for the club  as they will strive to avoid the drop when the League resumes.

Head coach of King Faisal Slavisa Bozicic expressed delight in securing the services of the versatile midfielder who could also be used in central defence by labelling him “a timely acquisition of a quality and versatility”.

Owusu Agyei was added to the club’s final 30 man squad for the second round of the 2019/20 Ghana Premier League.

He has previously featured for Storm Academy where he captained the club for a season.

King Faisal is at the foot of the League log after 15 games without a win.

Photo credit via footballmadeinghan

UEFA president Ceferin says leagues ready to play behind closed doors

0

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has said that leagues across Europe were ready to resume to action behind closed doors as they work tirelessly to limit the damage caused by coronavirus.


Football leagues have been frozen since mid-March due to the COVID-19 whichever which has claimed many lives throughout the continent.


But the head of European football believes that playing would be an important step towards a return to normal life and avoid heavy financial losses for leagues.


“I believe there are options that can allow us to restart cup championships and to complete them,” Ceferin said in an interview with Italian daily Corriere della Sera.


“We may have to resume without spectators, but the most important thing, I think, is playing games.


“It is early to say that we cannot complete the season. The impact would be terrible for clubs and leagues. Better to play behind closed doors than not at all.


“In such hard times it would bring happiness to people and a certain sense of normality even if the games can only be seen on TV.


“All activities are being organised to start again, everyone needs to find their lives.


“If safety measures are respected and if the authorities give the green light, the training could resume like the rest.


“Further consent will be needed for matches.”


Ceferin said that if leagues returned “soon enough” then Champions League and Europa League matches could “be played in parallel” with no date limit for the finals.
The Slovenian said he was not in favour of the season going into September and October as it “would have a heavy impact” on the 2020-2021 campaign.


“We can finish, but we must respect the decisions taken by authorities,” he continued.


“The priority is the health of fans, players and coaches.”


As for countries who have decided not to finish the season, Ceferin said that UEFA “will review the cases”.


“Such decisions were not made alone,” he said.


“Football is interconnected, we have seen how important it is for UEFA and leagues to work in good cooperation. The executive committee will review the cases.”


He added: “Leagues are the revenue base for clubs nationwide. If completed, the financial consequences will be limited.


“UEFA, on the other hand, will lose a lot of money for postponing Euro 2020.”

Source: AFP

Photo credit AFP

GFA offices remain closed

0

The Ghana Football Association has announced that its offices are still closed till further notice.

This is to follow the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions provided by the government of Ghana.

Below is a statement released by the GFA

The public is hereby informed that the offices of the Ghana Football Association remain closed despite government’s decision to lift the partial lockdown in the Greater Accra, Greater Kumasi and Kasoa environs.

This is because the government’s directive on public gathering of 25 or more persons is still in force.

Members of the GFA, including clubs, Regional Football Associations and all stakeholders are being reminded to continue with the use of the online systems of the GFA (email, Registration System – FIFA Connect etc) to communicate with the Secretariat.

Football clubs are advised to strictly comply with the ban on gathering and sporting activities and are therefore reminded that group training is still not allowed until the ban on social gathering is lifted by the state.

Source: GFA COMMUNICATIONS

Photo credit via Ghanafa.org

Kotoko players agree to take 40% pay-cut

0

Asante Kotoko players and technical team have agreed to take a 40% pay-cut to lessen the financial burden of the club amid the COVID-19 disease crisis.

According to the General Manager of the club, Nana Gyambibi Coker, the Technical team and players agreed unanimously in a meeting to slash their monthly remuneration.

All over the world, players have been urged to accept pay cuts to free clubs of heavy financial constraints due to frozen activities of the world .

“It is something we initially discussed at management level. We considered our situation and our financial strength in containing our expenses and measures to help sustain the club during the suspension of the league due to Covid-19 and we considered pay-cut as one of the measures.” he said on Kumasi FM.

“We called the coach and tasked him to engage the players on our behalf and he has reported back to us they have listened to our plea and have accepted a pay cut.

“It is a 40% pay-cut and will be implemented soon.”

Last week, captain of the side Felix Annan denied having any meeting where salary pay cuts were disclosed.

Let’s embrace our returnees into our League – Augustine Arhinful to clubs

Former Ghana international, Augustine Arhinful has advised Ghanaian clubs to give opportunities to players who return from Europe to relaunch their career.

According to him, the hierarchy of domestic clubs need to capitalized on the experience the have acquired to strengthen their teams.

A fortnight ago, Dr. Nyaho Tamakloe – who is a board member of Hearts Of Oak – criticized Ghanaian players who return to relaunch their career after an unsuccessful stints abroad.

His assertion sparked huge controversies in the media landscape. Two former players of the Rainbow club – Charles Taylor and Dan Quaye – lashed out at the former Ghana Football Association chairman.

But Arhinful believes that the returnees should be encouraged and not discard them.

“We need to embrace these players for them to bring their experience on board,” he told Asempa FM Sports.  

“If these returnees are bringing something extra to our teams, we need to encourage and not discard them.”

The Ghana Premier League is on hold due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 disease.

Image via pulse.com.gh