Home Blog Page 898

Sports not included in the stimulus package – Deputy Sports Minister Perry Okudzeto

0

Image via JoySports

Deputy Sports Minister, Perry Okudzeto has revealed Government did not include sports in its one billion cedis stimul us package announced for the Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (SMEs).

“The stimulus package we know is for small scale and medium scale businesses, SMEs. Football or sports is not included in the package as we speak but discussions are on going,” he said on JoyNews’ Beyond the Lockdown show.

The revelation is not a good one for the Ghana Football Association, who are among federations who have reached the government for financial support.

There’s been calls for government to extend financial support to sports, especially football. Sporting activities have been suspended since the President’s directive to cease all social activities that require large crowds as part of measures to control the spread of Covid-19.

The situation has put clubs at a difficult position since no revenue is generated externally due to the outbreak of the novel COVID-19 pandemic.

The GFA in their request to government indicated that their members fall under SMEs. CEO of Inter Allies, Delali Senaye noted in an interview with Joy Sports last month that football clubs are SMEs and should be supported by government.

His claims were echoed by CEO of Data Bank, Kojo Addae-Mensah who said sports contributes five percent in revenue to the Ghanaian economy.

However, in a response to the question from a viewer on the show, Mr Okudzeto said “We have received proposals from various federations on the state and the sort of their federations and the sort of help they may require going forward.

“We are considering the proposals and at the appropriate time when a decision is taken on what support will go to particular federations those announcements will be made,” he added.

Credit: JoySports

The idea of football returning in empty stadia is fine – Deputy Sports Minister

0

Image via JoySports

Deputy Sports Minister, Perry Okudzeto believes that the idea of playing the Ghana Premier League behind closed doors is one that could be embraced.

Football activities have been suspended since middle of March due to the deadly COVID-19 pandemic.

The season which was in week 15 was put on hold after Ghana government placed a ban on all gators in a bid to curb the spread of the disease and slow down recording new cases.

Some leagues around the globe have resumed football action, with the Bundesliga being the first major league to have been continued.

Few weeks ago, the Executive Council of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) disclosed that they will consider all the factors before making a final decision by June 30 as to what the future of the league would be.

There has been incessant calls on the GFA to take a decision to resume the league, however, the Deputy Sports Minister addressed how the sports industry cannot be isolated from the country as a whole as Ghana deals with the pandemic.

“It’s important that this is managed in a holistic way. That’s why the President of the Republic [Nana Akufo-Addo] is managing it the way it ought to be so we cannot be in isolation as a sector we have to be sort of be in the mix of what generally is been done to manage the case in Ghana. We would have to get to the point where government decides it’s okay to have public gatherings,” Mr Okudzeto said on the Sports edition of the Beyond the Lockdown programme on Joy News Channel Sunday evening.

When Okudzeto was asked whether Ghana could emulate leagues which have resumed but are being played without fans in the stands, he sad:

“For a football match or any sporting activity to take place, it’s not only the players, technical team, stadium managers, all kinds of people who will come together to make a football match.

“The option of playing in empty stadia is fine. When we get to that point and we think that it’s the best option for us in terms of making out game safe it will be one of the options we will consider. However, as we speak that decision has not been taken,” he answered.

Legon Cities management engage fans via Zoom

0

Image via Legon Cities FC twitter page

The management of Legon Cities Football Club have held a Zoom Hangout with fans of the club as clubs battle to survive the Covid. Team Legon Cities was represented by CEO Terry Maxwell–Aidam, Deputy CEO/Administrative ManagerKwabenaAsenso and Club Communications Manager Kwame Dwomoh-Agyemang. Fans of the club were given the opportunity to ask as many questions of their choice with a greater number of them focused on the COVID and how the club was managing in these very difficult times.

CEO Terry Maxwell Aidam addressed as many of these questions which focused on transfers, the possibility of owning their own stadium, and their plans for the not too distant future. He added that the Clubwas still in talks with government and the University of Ghana on the possibility of using the acility as their home venue when the league resumes.

“We have started engaging the authorities at the Premier University and we are hopeful of a positive response from them. We believe that such a facility would help us grow our fan base and also align ourselves with the institution as the name of the club has a connection with the school.”

CEO Aidam further added that Legon Citiesare willing to bring the business bit out of their Club where supporters can even make money out of the Club and that they are targeting campuses after the pandemic to boost their stadium attendance.

Terry Maxwell confessed the Club made an approach to ex-Asante Kotoko striker, Sogne Yacouba but was quick to add that a deal could not be struck with the player and his representatives. He added that Replica jerseys were ordered before football came to a halt but would be available when football makes a return to avoid imitations by the public.

The team is said to have arranged a training program for the players to get them to an appreciable fitness level as and when the football season resumes.

The club is also set to unveil a number of new signings in the not too distant future to augment their squad.

Credit:CitiSports

Stephen Appiah reveals his five LEADERSHIP LESSONS from being Black Stars

0

Ghana legend Stephen Appiah has revealed five key leadership qualities he learnt from being Black Stars captain.

The former Juventus star was an integral figure of the senior national team of Ghana from 2003, through and beyond the best day of 2006. He captained the Black Stars during the impressive 2010 World Cup held in South Africa.

Speaking in an interview with JoySports while reacting to wide range of issues, Appiah disclosed lessons from his career as Black Stars captain.

Stephen Appiah on five leadership qualities

Empathy
Empathy simply means putting yourself in people’s shoes so that you can feel what they feel. When you do that, you will always take decisions that will help people and not hurt them.

Communication
The people you are dealing with are human beings, not animals. Talk to them. Hear their side of the story. Always consider them before making decisions.

Courage
Not every decision you will take as a leader will be popular. But if you really believe it is the right thing. You have to be bold and go ahead.

Never stop learning
In life, I have learned that what you knew yesterday may no more be relevant today. So leaders must always invest in educating themselves all the time.

Humility
No matter how high you are, you must still remain a servant as a leader. It is only when you serve that you can be a good leader.

I was lucky to play with Guardiola and Baggio – Stephen Appiah

0

Ghana legend Stephen Appiah says he enjoyed the best season of his illustrious playing career at Italian side Brescia as he had the opportunity to share the same dressing room with football greats, Pep Guardiola and Roberto Baggio.

The former Black Stars captain played for the club for one season, having joined them on loan from Parma in 2002. Appiah joined Parma from Udinese in 2000 but after two seasons, he was forced to move.

In an interview on Joy FM’s Sports Link Saturday, Appiah explained that he was loaned to Brescia because Parma appointed a new coach who decided to bring in new players.
He was disappointed with the decision because he did his best in the previous season to help Parma win the Italian Cup.

However, Appiah was determined to prove that the coach made a wrong decision to let him go and he did excel at Brescia.

Appiah, 22 at the time, scored seven goals in 31 appearances for the ‘small club’ Brescia, who finished in the top half of the table.

“In my career, I always say that Brescia was the best season… because Brescia was a small team but in 2002/03 season we did so well in the league as we placed sixth.

Brescia placing sixth in the league was so huge for the fans because that time looking at Juventus, AC Milan Inter Milan, Fiorentina and other big sides, nobody expected us to be in that position,” Appiah said.

“I was so lucky to play with [Pep] Guardiola and Roberto Baggio. That season I scored 8 goals because when you are playing with Guardiola and Baggo, they make things easier for you to put the ball at the back of the net as a midfielder.”

His impressive performance that season earned him a big move to Juventus. Appiah recounts that he was enjoying his summer break in Ghana when he received a call from Luciano Moggi (Juventus director between 1994 and 2006).

“I received a call from Luciano Moggi, a big man in Italian football. He asked me, Appiah, do you want to come to Juventus? I said yes I want to come to Juventus.”

Appiah spent two seasons at Juventus and helped them win the Italian Cup before moving to Fernabache in Turkey. He returned to Italy to play for Bologna and Cesena before retiring.

JoySports

I spent more than $100,000 on my injury but to no avail – Opoku Agyemang

0

Former Black Satellites forward Opoku Agyemang says he has spent more than a whooping $100,000 on his persistent injury but has not succeeded in getting it healed upon all his efforts.

Agyemang is remembered during the 2009 Fifa U-20 World Cup held in Egypt. He is a product of the Ashanti Gold academy.

He was hugely tipped for greatness but couldn’t reach the level expected due to incessant injuries which hindered his career.

He disclosed that in an interview that since 2012 when he sustained the unfortunate injury, he has not been able to play football again.

“I spent more than $100,000 on my injury but to no avail. I have not played football since 2012,” he told Kumasi based Angel FM.

It would be recalled that Agyemang suffered Anterior Cruciate ligament for 8 months in 2010, which made him lose a place in Ghana’s squad for the World Cup that year.

On July 1, 2012, Agyemang joined Bulgarian side Levski Sofia but had his contract terminated due injures.

He was part of the Black Stars side that won silver at the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations.

Ghana FA meet Government COVID-19 Team

0

Image via ghanafa.org

The Ghana Football Association has met the government of Ghana COVID-19 pandemic team to discuss way forward of sporting activities in light of the deadly disease.

Football is on hold due to the pandemic and all stakeholders have been sharing ideas to find ways of reducing fresh cases and how to get back football activities and other sporting activities.

Below is a statement from the GFA on the meeting

Ghana Football Association delegation on Thursday, May 21, 2020 joined other federations to engage the Government COVID-19 team at the Accra Sports Stadium.

The meeting was also attended by the leadership of the National Sports Authority. Presidents of the Ghana Olympic Committee, Ghana Golf Association and the Ghana Boxing Authority and Athletics Association were all present.

Advisor on Health at the Presidency, Dr. Anthony Nsiah Asare and Presidential Coordinator for the Government’s Coronavirus Response Programme, Dr. Asamoah Baah joined the meeting on behalf of the government.

GFA President Kurt E.S Okraku and General Secretary Prosper Harrison Addo represented the federation at the meeting. With them were two members of the GFA Medical Committee – Dr. Adam Baba and Dr. Percy Annang.

Issues discussed ranged from possible return of football and other sporting disciplines amidst COVID-19 in a safe environment, safety measures and protocols, plans of government in the fight against COVID-19 among others.

It would be recalled that the Ghana Football Association on March 16, 2020 suspended all football competitions following the directives by the President of the Republic of Ghana Nana Akufo-Addo to place a ban on public gatherings and all sporting activities.

The GFA will continue to engage all relevant institutions of government on this matter and update its members and all stakeholders.

The GFA will continue its campaign in support of the fight against COVID-19 pandemic on all its media platforms and urge all its members and stakeholders to strictly comply with all the protocols from government.

SOURCE: GFA COMMUNICATIONS

VIDEO: Watch 97 sumptuous GOALS scored by Ghanaian players in the 2019/20 season around the globe

Image via Kickgh

As we continue to wait upon God to overcome the deadly COVID-19 pandemic, your authoritative portal, footy.ghpush.com/ brings you a compilation of the fantastic goals scored by Ghanaian players around the globe in the suspended leagues.

Kindly relax wherever you are around the world and enjoy some classic goals from players like Jordan Ayew, David Accam, Thomas Partey and others.

At the moment only the German top-flight and its lesser divisions have resumed football.

Let’s enjoy togetherrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

 
Below is video of 97 goals scored by Ghanaian players in the suspended 2019/20 season.(video picked from Kickgh)

https://youtu.be/cWkHfqzLEhE
We don’t own the video.

AUDIO:John Kuffour speaks about his arrest for biting left nipple of his girlfriend

0

Image via allsportsghana

Former Asante Kotoko centre-back, John Kuffour has spoken about his arrest after he assaulted her wife by biting her left nipple.

The Ejisu District Court presided over by Mr. Kwaku Baah Frempong gtanted Kuffuor a bail to the sum of GHS 50,000 with two sureties.

READ MORE: https://footy.ghpush.com/ex-kotoko-defender-john-kuffour-granted-bail-for-biting-girlfriends-nipple/

However, reacting to the issue on Oyerepa FM, John Kuffour disclosed that the incident was accidental.

According to him, Dennisa Hagan – who is his wife – pushed him after a misunderstanding and while falling down his teeth slightly bite his wife’s breast.

“I didn’t intentionally bite the nipples of her [Dennisa Hagan] like it has been circulating everywhere in Ghana. The issue happened in 2017 after completing my contract in Ethiopia with Dedebit FC and I’m even surprised ahead has gone back to resurrect it more than three years later,” Kufour told Oyerepa FM.

“It was a short struggle between us which her breast landed on my mouth after an attempt to push me to the ground in her kitchen.

“I am grateful to all Asante Kotoko supporters who came to the Ejisu Police station upon hearing that I’ve been arrested on Monday because of a complaint made by my former girlfriend,” he added.

John Kuffour has also played for Kpando Heart Of Lions and Ethiopian side Dedebit FC.

John Kuffour’s interview with Oyerepa FM

Issah Rahman: I feel bad when I hear about Ghana’s defeat to Brazil in 1997 U-17 World Cup [+VIDEO of the game]

0

Image via Space fm

A member of Ghana’s team that lost 2-1 to Brazil in the 1997 Under-17 World Cup, Issah Abdul Rahman says he still feels bad when he remembers the painful defeat to the South Americans.

Brazil came from behind to beat defending champions Ghana 2-1 to claim their maiden FIFA U-17 World Cup title at Egypt 1997.

The epic final which was held at the Cairo International Stadium saw Ghana opened the scoring through Owusu Afriyie in the 39th minute, but two second half goals by Matuzalem (63′) and Andrey (87′) handed Brazil the all-important trophy.

“I feel so bad when I hear of that defeat to Brazil in the 1997 FIFA u17 world cup in Egypt,” Rahman told BA TV.

“We beat this same Brazil squad by 4-1 in the USA before the tournament in Egypt so it pained us a lot when they beat us in the final of the U 17 world cup proper in Egypt in 1997.

He also indicated that the decision of the late coach Afrane to change his position helped him

“Coaches who have technical eye sometimes look at a player and changes his position and it becomes successful . Herbert Addo and coach Afrane change helped me so much.”

Rahman started the game for the Black Starlet.

Video credit: Fifa.com