Home Blog Page 892

New Kotoko Board of Directors given three-year mandate

0

Asante Kotoko new Board of Directors have been given a three-year mandate to steer affairs of the club for the next three football seasons.

A nine-member Board of Directors were announced on Thursday, May 28, 2020 by the sole Shareholder of the club Otumfuo Osei Tutu II to lead the Porcupine Warriors.

Each member of the Board – led by Dr Kwame Kyei and assisted by Jude Arthur – has received an appointment letter from the Chief of Staff of Manhyia – Kofi Badu.

According to sources, the letter indicated that, they commenced work Monday, June 1, 2020.

Other members include Kwadwo Boateng Genfi, Kwasi Osei Ofori, Lawyer Kwamina Mensah, Alhaji Lamine, Joseph Yaw Adu, Baffour Kwame Kusi, and Evelyn Nsiah Asare.

The new Board of Directors have been tasked to rebuild the Kotoko brand not only for its performance on the sporting field but as a viable economic entity.

The Life Patron has asked them to establish an academy to provide opportunity for the youth.

PHOTO:Exim bank/AsanteKotoko_SC

Liverpool star Mohammed Salah wanted to be like me – Eric Bekoe

0

Image via Kickgh

Former Ghanaian striker Eric Bekoe has shockingly revealed that Liverpool superstar Mohamed Salah picked him as his role model during his days at FC Petroject in the Egyptian top-flight League.

Bekoe rose to stardom after an impressive season with Asante Kotoko in the 2007, emerging as top scorer with 17 goals in 23 appearances in the Ghana Premier League. He subsequently left for Egypt in 2008.

According to him, Mohammed Salah and other young players who were playing in the Egyptian youth teams wanted to be like him in future.

“I was a big player in Egypt. Mohamed Salah and other young Egyptian players wanted to be like,” Bekoe told Nhyira FM

“Oh yeah…. Mohammed Salah of Liverpool picked him as role model. During my days at FC Petrojet, Salah was young boy playing for the youth side of Al Mokawloon”

“Salah was a left-winger who wanted to score more goals because he is clinical upfront. He sometimes cried because his efforts on wings doesn’t result in goals. 

“One of their coaches pushed him forward which helped his progression before leaving Egypt for FC Basel.

Bekoe scored 25 goals in over eighty matches he featured for Egyptian club FC Petrojet before leaving in 2012.

Black Stars winger Samuel Owusu feels disappointed for not playing in Division One with Vision FC

0

Ex-player of Vision FC,  Samuel Owusu has expressed disappointment for not playing for withthe club in the Division One League of Ghana beforetrekking to abroad.

The Black Stars winger played for the Eewo lads in the Greater Accra Division Two League following his promotion from the development side (Vision Babies FC). However, he left before the team gained promotion to the second-tier division in Ghana football.

He disclosed he sometimes feel disappointed.

“Sometimes I feel disappointed but I got the opportunity to travel way back in 2014, two years before Vision FC played in the first division and by that time I had already started my professional career abroad.” The 24-year-old said in an interview with Vision TV

“I used to watch their highlights and when I’m in Ghana, I always make it a point to watch their games.

“Watching the games made me miss playing alongside Michael Baidoo, Prince Ofori, Abednego [Ntow] and a few of the guys we started with. Admittedly, I sometimes feel disappointed.”

Owusu has played for clubs namely Radnik Surdurlica, Fenclirbirligi as well as FK Cukaricki. Currently, he features for Al Fayha in the Saudi Arabian League.

Source: Vision TV

Photo via visionfc.com

2006 World Cup: GFA owes standby players $10,000 each – Yusif Chibsah

0

Image via Citi TV

Former Ghana midfielder, Yusif Alhassan Chibsah has revealed that he and four others – who played a part to help Black Stars to qualify for the 2006 World Cup in Germany – are still owed 10,000 USD in appearance fees.

It would be recalled that five players were put on standby and according to Chibsah they agreed that, members of the original squad would receive 50,000 USD while the five on standby would get 10,000 USD.

“There was a meeting with the management to discuss bonuses and at that point we raised the issue of appearance fees.

“It was myself and Otto Addo that raised that issue” because we had information from our other colleagues from other countries.

“I went to Stephen Appiah and told him that there is some amount of money paid to us for qualifying for the world cup and we think that as its been done for other countries we also deserve to get some appearance fees.

“We raised that issue and Otto Addo also made some calls to his friends from the German team who confirmed. That was when the issue with appearance fees started,” he disclosed on The Tracker on Citi TV.

According to him,the standby playing body were separated from the team due to the issue and have still not been paid although former Ghana Football Association President, Kwesi Nyantakyi promised to pay them.

“We bargained for it and as a result of that the standby players were separated from the main 23 man squad.

“We were promised 10 thousand dollars with those in the 23 man squad promised fifty thousand  but we the standby players are yet to receive the money.
There were five of us Baffour Gyan, Baba Amando, Philemon McCarthy Aziz Ansah and myself.

“A couple of years after the incident a couple of the players inquired so we got in touch with the FA through then Prez Kwesi Nyantakyi who admitted that he remembered but FA was in financial difficulty and that the would pay when they got money.

“That was all but we have still not received our money.

FIFA hails Ghana FA IT Department

0

Image via ghanafa.org

World Football governing body, FIFA and other President of other African countries have hailed the IT Department of the Ghana Football Association.

They earned the praise following the rightful use and help it has extended to other African football federations on the competition Management System.

Below is the GFA Statement

The IT Department of the Ghana Football Association has been hailed by FIFA and Presidents of African Football Federations for its use and leadership on the Competitions Management System (CMS) provided by the world governing body.

This happened during a meeting between FIFA and African FA Presidents last week via video conferencing which discussed, among others, the effects of COVID-19 and ways to collaborate to find a lasting solution to the associated problems and also updates on improvements made to the Competitions Management System (CMS).

FIFA heaped praise on the GFA IT Department, headed by Francis Adu, for the use of the CMS and the provision of valuable information to FIFA to enable improvements to be made to the system.

This System has been in operation since 2017 and Ghana was one of the first Associations to introduce this system on the African continent. It must be noted that some Associations in Africa are yet to put themselves in a technical position to use the FIFA system.

The leadership role being played by GFA was particularly applauded by the President of Nigeria Football Federation for the warm reception and knowledge share accorded his official when he came to Ghana on a learning visit earlier this year.

It is worthy of note that other Federations like Cameroon, Namibia, Gambia and Djibouti have all directly sought technical support on the player registration system and on the management of the CMS from the GFA.

The Competition Management System (CMS) is a cutting-edge modernized software that is used to manage all aspects of any competition format, saving valuable time and resources and enabling them to take control of their data.

The CMS has helped to dispose of inefficient, paper-based systems in return for advanced software that will enable Federations to easily create competitions, fixtures, post-game match officials’ reports and much more.

The GFA IT Department is headed Mr. Francis Adu, with Joel Ahadzie and Caroline Anyanful as assistants who work with support from all the other staff of the GFA.

SOURCE: GFA COMMUNICATIONS

Togbe Afede XIV appointed Chairman of Autonomous Premier League Advisory Committee

0

Board Chairman of Hearts of Oak, Togbe Afede XIV has been appointed to lead the advisory Committee for the proposed autonomous Ghana Premier League.

Other members of the committee include Tony Aubyn, and Kwame Baah Nuako, Delali senaye and john Ansah.

The ad-hoc Committee is to advice the GFA on measures to implement the policy.

Below is the GFA Statement

Board Chairman of Accra Hearts of Oak Sporting Club, Togbe Afede XIV, has been appointed by the Executive Council of the Ghana Football Association as Chairman of the Autonomous Premier League Advisory Committee.

This follows the decision of the Executive Council to name Member, Dr. Toni Aubynn and Dr. Kwame Baah-Nuakoh, Chairman of the Club Licensing Board as its nominees to serve on the Committee. They join the three representatives of the Premier League clubs, Delali Senaya, CEO of Inter Allies Football Club, Mr. John Ansah, Operations Manager of Cape Coast Mysterious Ebusua Dwarfs Football Club and Togbe Afede XIV, Board Chairman of Accra Hearts of Oak Sporting Club.

READ MORE:https://footy.ghpush.com/ghana-premier-league-to-be-autonomous-gfa/

The five-member Committee will start the process leading to the Ghana Premier League going autonomous. It would be recalled that the Executive Council on May 8, 2020 announced that a committee will be instituted to come up with the modalities, processes and roadmap for the establishment of an autonomous Ghana Premier League.

The Committee is expected to submit their first draft to the Executive Council of the GFA within the first three months of work.

READ ALSO:https://footy.ghpush.com/nigeria-fa-vice-president-commends-gfa-for-decision-to-allow-ghpl-go-autonomous/

The Ghana Premier League is currently organized and managed by the GFA. The 18-club competition is managed by the Premier League Committee chaired by Lepowura Alhaji M.N.D Jawula with day-to-day administrative support from the Competitions Department of the GFA.

SOURCE: GFA COMMUNICATIONS

I was better than Dutch legends Ruud Gullit and Marco Van Basten – Abedi Pele

Ghana legend Abedi Pele has asserted that he was a better player than Dutch legends Ruud Gullit and Marco Van Basten.

READ ALSO:https://footy.ghpush.com/emmanuel-osei-kuffour-labels-himself-as-ghana-premier-leagues-greatest-of-all-time/

The former Olympique Marseille superstar, who was speaking on a wide range of issues in a six-hour interview on GTV Sports Plus, remarked that, the mentality he had made him believe he was better than some great players including Van Basten and Ruud Gullit.

“Well I don’t know but I had it in mind that I am better than Guilt and I’m also better than Van Bastern and the others.

“So coming onto the pitch, it is in my mind that there must be a challenge between Guilt and Abedi Pele who is going to win,” he added.

Abedi Pele was instrumental when Marseille subdued AC Milan side, which included Gullit and Van Basten, to clinch the UEFA Champions League in 1993.

He also had stints with Niort, Mulhouse, Marseille, Lyon, Torino, 1860 Munich and finally ended his illustrious career at Al Ain in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates in the 2000.

READ ALSO:https://footy.ghpush.com/asamoah-gyan-not-winning-a-trophy-with-ghana-haunts-me-a-lot/

The ‘maestro’ made a total club career appearances of 479, scoring 157 goals and 73 National appearances, with 33 goals.

I don’t regret leaving Hearts despite my unsuccessful stint with Horoya – Patrick Razak

0

Ghana winger Patrick Razak says it was best decision leaving Hearts of Oak to join Guinean giants Horoya AC.

Razak departed the Phobians in 2018 after both parties failed to reach a deal to extend his contract. The former Tamale Utrecht forward was reported to be on a monthly salary of GHS 400.

READ ALSO:https://footy.ghpush.com/issah-rahman-i-feel-bad-when-i-hear-about-ghanas-defeat-to-brazil-in-1997-u-17-world-cup-video-of-the-game/

The 23-year-old struggled to impress the Guinean side and consequently got his contract terminated.

However, the speedster insists he does not regret the decision to leave the Accra-based giants despite his unsuccessful spell with the Red and White lads.

“I don’t regret with my decision because there are a lot of opportunities ahead of me. I would have regret if that is the end of my career but the truth is that I’m still young and can play actively.

“I think I took the right decision because the offer came at the time when football activities were at halt due to Anas documentary. I put some measure in place for Hearts of Oak but they couldn’t meet it and that is why I left.

READ ALSO:https://footy.ghpush.com/dr-kwaku-frimpongs-son-and-others-form-new-ashanti-gold-management-team/

“I could not have regretted because things did not go on well for me there. It is just an incident that has happened so I will take the positives out of it. I will say I benefited from the deal as player,” he concluded.

Razak is heavily linked with a return to Hearts of Oak ahead of the resumption of football.

I met my wife on Facebook – Kotoko captain Felix Annan

1

Asante Kotoko captain, Felix Annan has revealed that he met his wedded wife Francisca Yeboah on Facebook in 2009.

Annan tied the knot with his long-time girlfriend in a private ceremony. The colourful ceremony was held on Saturday, January 18, 2020, in the Ahafo Region, Dormaa to be precise.

The Black Stars goalkeeper insists that it is never wrong to use social media with regards to choosing a life partner.

“Social media can be useful when put to good use. I met my wife on Facebook. I was so open with her that she took a train from Italy to Switzerland to meet me when I was on a training tour with.

“I met her through Facebook in 2009. We started being friends but it was until six years, that we started toplan everything, ” he said on Opemsuo Radio.

“Social media is good but it depends on how you use it. For me, It has been good because my wife has done so many sacrifices.”

Annan lost the number spot to Kwame Baah due to his wedding ceremony. The suspended league was then in week five.

PHOTO: via Ghanasoccernet

VIDEO:Abedi Pele weeps live on TV

0

Ghana football legend Abedi Pele could not hold back his tears on national television after seeing the man who discovered him at juvenile level and also as he paid glowing tributes to the men who played key roles in his career.

Abedi Pele, regarded as one of the greatest African footballers of all time was left surprised when he was reunited with the man who discovered him, Mr. Herbert Adika.

Mr. Herbert Adika

Abedi Pele started his ‘rich’ football career playing for colts club Great Falcons in Ghana. He was by then watched and nurtured by Mr. Herbert Adika who Abedi Pele himself revealed treated him like his own son.

Speaking in a program on GTV Sports Plus dubbed “Time with our captains”, Abedi Ayew was left surprised when his former gaffer was introduced to the show. He could not hold back his emotions as he wept.

Mr. Adika on the show narrated how he met the ‘maestro’. He also narrated how good Abedi Pele was and how determined and persevered Abedi was.

Abedi Pele later in the show paid glowing tribute to Mr. Adika and all the people that played vital roles in his astounding football career.

Some of these persons include Kotoko’s S.k Manu, B.A Fuseini, former vice-president of Ghana Alhaji Alui Mahama, Alhaji Mekano, Ben Kofi and many others.

Abedi Pele in the process of paying tribute and eulogizing these great men could not control his feelings as he burst into tears. He revealed that most of them passed on when he was not in the country but he did well to visit their families.

“There are a lot of people who really made who I am but it was a gradual process. A lot of them are not alive today so I’m taking this particular day to remember them because when most of them passed away, I was not in the country. When I came I went to see the family and pay my condolences.”

Abedi Pele enjoyed a successful football career, he won numerous awards and trophies, including the African best award on 3 consecutive occasions (1991, 1992, 1993), the UEFA champions league in 1993 etc.

Video of the emotional Abedi Pele: GTV Sports plus

By Mahama shaibu