Home Blog Page 891

I’ve no hope the suspended 2019-20 Ghana Premier League will continue – Bechem United CEO

0

Photo credit: via 442gh

Bechem United Chief Executive Officer(CEO), Nana Kwasi Darlington says he has no hope the suspended 2019-20 Ghana Premier League season will resume after listening to the president’s speech on Sunday.

President Akuffo Addo in his tenth speech on COVID-19 pandemic extended the ban on social gatherings until July 31, 2020. The directive means that football activities cannot return until the ban has been reviewed.

Speaking to Kumasi-based Oyerepa FM, Nana Kwasi admitted that the league will be cancelled.

“After listening to the President of Ghana , I have lost hope that the suspended league season will resume,” he told Oyerepa FM.

“The next briefing will be on July 31 and should we be allowed to play Football, clubs will need weeks to go back to the field which takes us into August.

He continued: “I have lost hope and don’t think the league will continue, am sure it will be canceled.”

Football activities in the country have been on hold since March due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.

My mother didn’t speak to me for two years when I chose to play football – Augustine Sefah

0

Asante Kotoko right-back, Augustine Sefah has revealed that his mother didn’t talk to him for two years after he decided to play football rather than pursuing a course in Mechanical Engineering at the Accra Polytechnic.

According to the former Medical defender, all admission fees were paid in full but he opted to play football after realizing it was going to take him about six years to compete the course.

READ ALSO:https://footy.ghpush.com/ghanaian-players-are-self-centred-kotoko-youth-team-coach-asare/

He explained that he only got support from the father, who initially didn’t agree to his decision.

Augustine Sefah in the studio of Opemsuo Radio

Speaking to Manhyia-based Opemsuo radio, Sefah disclosed that it had to take his sisters to steal food for him to eat.

“My mother didn’t speak to me for two years when I chose to play football instead of pursuing a course in Mechanical Engineering at Accra Polytechnic. My siblings had to steal food for me because she won’t give me food,” he told Opemsuo Radio.

He renewed his stay with Kotoko by one year last year after his two-year expired.

READ ALSO:https://footy.ghpush.com/african-legends-cup-of-nations-abedi-pele-vs-gyan/

Sefah was a member of the Ashanti Gold team that lifted the 2015 Ghana Premier League title under the tutelage of Bashir Hayford.

He began his former career at Kumapem Babies before joining Great African.

His great exploits saw him signed his first professional contract with Kessben FC in 2008-9 season.

Kotoko: Manhyia to extend mandate of three-member committee by a month

0

The three-member committee constituted to investigate the affairs of Asante Kotoko have written to Otumfuo Osei Tutu II for a month’s extension to complete its work, according to Opemsuo Radio report.

The ad-hoc committee was put up in late April by the sole shareholder of the Porcupine Warriors to investigate some financial malfeasance suffered by the club. They were given four weeks to submit their report which was supposed to end May 30, 2020.

READ ALSO:https://footy.ghpush.com/kotoko-prof-lydia-nkansah-led-committee-to-sit-in-camera/

The Committee led by Prof. Lydia Nkansah – Dean of the Faculty of Law at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi – were given one month to submit its report to Manhyia. Other members of the committee were Kofi Owusu, Registrar of the National House of Chiefs and Lawrence Bruce Kyei Esq, a private legal practitioner.

Manhyia gave the Committee about five specific task;

  1. To investigate how come Kotoko was fined $180,000 and the club’s failure to meet FIFA’S deadline for payment.
  2. To investigate the subsequent transfer of Asante Kotoko player Kwame Bonsu which created fresh sanctions against Kotoko.
  3. Investigate the failure of the club to meet the 2019/2020 Club license regulations and the unusual turnover of players and coaches during the 2019/2020 league season.
  4. Determine Culpability for any malfeasance and administrative lapses.
  5. Make recommendations for future guidance and directions of Asante Kotoko Sporting Club.

They have since had one-on-one interviews with current and old management members, players, sponsors of the club, sports journalist, etc.

READ MORE:https://footy.ghpush.com/breaking-news-manhyia-form-three-member-committee-to-investigate-kotoko-affairs/

However, the mandate of the committee has been reviewed which has necessitated the decision to request for one more month to accomplish the task, according to Manhyia-based Opemsuo Radio.

Before they even submit their full report to the Asantehene, the committee approved the members of the team’s Board of Directors announced on Thursday, May 28, 2020.

Photo credit via Ghanasoccernet

DOL reps on the advisory committee will kick against mooted 18-Club League, says Wa Suntaa Prez. Daud Arif

0

Image via Talksports Ghana

Daud Arif – President and Bankroller of Division One side Wa Suntaa SC – has stated emphatically that the reps of the second-tier league on the advisory committee will kick against the proposed 18-club League .

The Ghana Football Association has formed a 5-man advisory committee to advice the association and have tasked them to come out with measures and policies that will see to the implementation of the 1818-club League after it has been duly approved.

READ MORE: https://footy.ghpush.com/gfa-vice-president-mark-addo-chairs-18-club-division-one-league-advisory-committee/

The National Division One League currently comprise of 48 clubs, which has been divided into three zones. The new direction, may affect how the teams have been spread across the country.

Speaking to Talk Sports Ghana, Daud Arif disclosed that club administrators are not happy with the decision to reduce the number of clubs.

According to him, if the decision is accepted there will be no regional balance as seen in the current format and that will affect the development of the game at the disadvantaged areas or regions.

“I can tell you for a fact that the three DOL members representing the DOL clubs are against it. We’ve spoken to our reps and they have our concerns at heart. They’ll speak to the interest of the clubs. Most of us don’t want the 18-club league,” he told Talk Sports Ghana.

“We want football to be played at every length and breadth of the country. It is only the 48 division one league that can ensure that every region or district that has the capacity to compete is well represented. We’re sending counter proposals to the FA because new regions have been created to make the DOL four zones.

READ ALSO:https://footy.ghpush.com/sekondi-hasaacas-ceo-kwesi-arbuah-opposes-gfa-decision-to-reduce-division-one-clubs-to-18/

He continued: “The Northern Zone will be there, where we’ll have Upper West, Upper East, Northern Region and Savanna Region in a zone. In effect, we’ll see a team from the north represented in the premiership every season. We’ll have four new zones, 12 in each, total 48.”

Football activities in the West African country have been put on hold since March due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. Hope of resuming it was dashed after the government of Ghana extended the ban on social gatherings until July 31, 2020.

Three years is enough for us – Kotoko Board Member Kwasi Osei Ofori

0

Image via Oyerepa Sports

A member of Asante Kotoko new Board of Directors, Kwasi Osei Ofori says the three years given to them by the Life Patron of the club, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II is enough to accomplish goals set for them.

READ MORE:https://footy.ghpush.com/breaking-news-manhyia-form-three-member-committee-to-investigate-kotoko-affairs/

On Thursday, May 20,2020 the Asantehene and a nine-member board to steer the affairs of the Porcupine Warriors. They have been given a three-member mandate to guide the team to restore its glory days and put up proper structures.

They have also been tasked to establish an Academy to create open for the Youth in the community.

Mr Kwasi Osei Ofori told Oyerepa FM that: ”The 3 years is enough and we can do a lot with it,am sure when our time is due and Otumfuo is happy with progress of our work,he can ask us to continue and we will be happy.”

READ ALSO:https://footy.ghpush.com/new-kotoko-board-of-directors-given-three-year-mandate/

The mandate of the new board commenced on Monday, June 1,2020.

However, there is no football activities in the country due to ban on social groups by government of Ghana in fight of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Kotoko Circles Chairman retracts and apologizes for “Disappointment Statement “

0

Image via Sportscorna

Brong Ahafo Regional Circles Council Chairman, Kennedy Enyan, has profoundly apologized and retracted for his very unfortunate comment following the release of Asante Kotoko Board of Directors without the representation of National Circles Council.

READ MORE:https://footy.ghpush.com/breaking-news-manhyia-name-9-member-board-of-directors-for-asante-kotoko/

Chairman Enyan after the press release from Manhyia on the newly constituted Board of Directors, granted interview on Kumasi based Otec Fm to express his disappointment about Kotoko’s Board without the National Circles Council Chairman, Christopher Demenya.

However, upon sober reflections, Chairman Enyan had to eat humble pie and apologized for the unfortunate comments.

“I want to use your highly-esteemed platform to apologize to the Chief of Staff and all affected persons following my unfortunate comment,” said Chairman Enyan on Opemsuo 104.7fm.

READ ALSO:https://footy.ghpush.com/charles-taylor-apologizes-to-dr-nyaho-tamakloe-over-archaic-football-administrator-comments-claims/

” I deeply regret whatever has gone on. And I promise such a thing will not happen again. The Chief of Staff should kindly temper justice with mercy,” remorseful Enyan concluded.

Credit; Opemsuo Sports

GFA vice-president Mark Addo chairs 18-club Division One League Advisory Committee

0

The Ghana Football Association Executive Council has appointed its vice-president Mark Addo as chairman of the advisory committee for the mooted 1818-club Division One League.

The Exco has proposed a nationwide League for the second-tier Division to scrap the zonal structure in used now.

Great Olympics CEO is also on the ad-hoc Committee which is expected to advice the GFA on the proposal.

Other members of the Committee are David Obeng, Jojo Duncan and George Afriyie – who contested for 2019 Ghana Football Association Presidential election.

Below is a Statement culled from the GFA website on the appointment

Ghana Football Association (GFA) Vice-President, Mark Addo has been appointed by the Executive Council to chair the 5–member Division One League Advisory Committee.

The Council has also named Oloboi Commodore, General Manager of Accra Great Olympics as its other nominee to serve on the Committee.

They join the three representatives of the Division One League Clubs – David Obeng, General Manager of Tano Bofokwa Football Club (representing Zone One), Jojo Duncan, Chief Executive Officer of Proud United Football Club (representing Zone Two) and Mr. George Afriyie, President of Planners Athletic Club (representing Zone Three).

This 5-man ad-hoc Committee is to advise the Executive Council on the format, the possible name of the new 18-club Division One League and the phases of the implementation after two seasons.

The Committee will also advise on whether or not a third-tier league will be required, its name and its format.

The Committee is expected to submit their first draft to the Executive Council of the GFA within the first three months of work.

The National Division One League is currently organized and managed by the GFA. The 48-club competition is managed by the Division One League Committee chaired by Mr. Akwasi Agyemang with day-to-day administrative support from the Competitions Department of the GFA.

SOURCE:COMMUNICATIONS

Photo credit:GFA

WAFA midfielder Andrews Ntim Manu wants GFA to continue Ghana Premier League

0

Image via WAFA Facebook Page

Andrews Ntim Manu of West Africa Football Academy has called on the Ghana Football Association to continue with the suspended 2019/20 Ghana Premier League season.

The activities of football in the West African country is still on hold after the government extended ban on social gatherings in order to curb the outbreak of the COVID-19 disease.

The 19-year-old midfielder has been in tremendous form for the Sogakope-based outfit, having been adjudged man-of-the-match in some encounters.

When asked about his opinion on suspended league, Ntim Manu said:

“I want the FA to continue the Ghana Premier League season because we were determined and ready for success looking at our performance,” he told Kumasi based OTEC FM.

“Our away performance tells how best we are, So for me, the league must continue” he added.

Many had called for complete annulment of the season, while others have proposed for it to be resumed but at the right time.

Ghana U-20 World Cup winner Daniel Agyei picks his all-time best 5 Ghanaian goalkeepers

0

Image via Daniel Agyei Twitter Page

Ghana international stopper, Daniel Agyei has selected his all-time top five best Ghanaian goalkeepers.

According to the Sebeta Kanema City goalkeeper Sammy Adjei, Richard Kingson, Yaw Berko, George Owu and Owusu Banahene are the best Ghanaian goalkeepers he has watched in recent times.

Photo via Goal.com: From left: Richard Kingson, George Owu, and Daniel Agyei

Speaking in an interview with footy.ghpush.com/, the Ghana Under-20 World Cup winner said:
“My all-time 5 goalkeepers I watched them in Ghana, I will say Sammy Agyei, Richard Kingson, Yaw Berko,George Owu and Owusu Banahene.

Agyei was part of Ghana squad for the 2010, 2012 and 2013 Africa Cup of Nations tournaments.

Below are short profiles of the goalkeepers Daniel Agyei picked as the best he has watched!

Photo via Ghanasoccernet

 Sammy Adjei 

The lanky goalkeeper had a
swashbuckling performances for both club and country. Adjei achieved much during his days at Hearts of Oak. He was an integral member of the Hearts team that won the 2000 CAF Champions League and Super Cup and won successive Premier League titles with the Phobians.

Photo via Ghanasoccernet

Richard Kingson

He played for local club Great Olympics before trekking to Europe to continue his career. After leaving home country, he played for several clubs in Turkey, for Hammarby in Sweden, and in England for Birmingham City, Wigan Athletic and Blackpool, who released him at the end of the 2010–11 season.

The former Galatasaray stopper has been impressive for clubs he played for and the Black Stars in his illustrious career.

Kingson manned the posts for Ghana in the 2006 and 2010 World Cup tournaments held in Germany and South Africa respectively.

He was later appointed Goalkeepers coach of the Black Stars in 2017.

Photo via Tanzania news

Yaw Berko

Berko began his career at Liberty Professionals FC and was in January 2005 loaned out to Vietnamese top club Pisico Bình Định F.C. 

Later, he returned to Liberty. In 2009 Berko moved from  Liberty Professionals FC and joined Young Africans FC on loan.

Berko also had stint with Tanzanian giants Simba SC.

George Owu

George Owu started his professional career with Sekondi Hasaacas. Later, he joined Ghanaian giants Asante Kotoko, where he made remarkable impacts in the success of the Porcupine Warriors during his stint with the club.

He signed for Egyptian Premier League side El-Masry from Ashanti Gold and became the number 1 since he signed from Ashanti Gold and was then widely regarded as the best Goalkeeper in the Egyption League.

Had trials with some top European teams including Tottenham Hotspur. His hope of making a World Cup appearance hit a snag as he could not make the squad for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Owu was part of the Ghanaian 2004 Olympic football team, who exited in the first round, having finished in third place.He played his first game for the Ghana national football team on 19 November 2003 and was the second goal keeper in 2006 Africa cup in Egypt. Owu was also the second goal keeper for Germany 2006 FIFA World Cup. He also made the squad for the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations held in Ghana.

Photo via Ghanasoccernet

Owusu Banshene

Banahene’s dazzling performances led the Ghana Under-20 to a runners-up finish in the 2001 Fifa Youth Championship held at Argentina.

By the age of 18, Banahene was already something of a legend for Ghana at youth level football, rising quickly to become one of the country’s most promising prospects at the time. As first-choice goalkeeper and team captain, he had guided the Black Starlets to silver and bronze at the U-17 African Cup and World Cup respectively in 1999.

Two years later, Banahene, again in the capacity of an undisputed No.1 and skipper, would lead the Black Satellites to a runners-up finish in Argentina, conceding just twice along the way, prior to being humbled 3-0 by the Javier Saviola-inspired hosts. 

In 2002, Banahene’s fine progress was obstructed in the worst possible way when he suffered a career-threatening knee injury that robbed him his future as it appeared then.

The former Unity Stars Academy player also played for Asante Kotoko and left in 2009 after spending two years with the Ghana Premier League giants.

He also played for FC AK in South Africa and Aparacidens in Brazil.

Reference: wikipedia&Goal

I was hurt when my husband lost his position after our marriage ceremony – Felix Annan’s wife

0

Image via Opemsuo radio

Francisca Yeboah – wife of Asante Kotoko captain Felix Annan – has said she was troubled when the husband lost his position after their marriage ceremony.

Annan and Franny tied the kmot in January 18, 2020 in Dormaa in a private wedding while the suspended 2019/20 Ghana Premier League was in week four.

READ MORE:https://footy.ghpush.com/i-met-my-wife-on-facebook-kotoko-captain-felix-annan/

The Black Stars stopper returned aftet the ceremony but could not command the number slot again as second choice Kwame Baah had grabbed the position with some superlatives performance.

Speaker to Kumasi-based Opemsuo Radio Tuesday evening, Annan disclosed he was not troubled much.

“I’m a professional so I wasn’t troubled much when I lost my position after my marriage ceremony but my wife and mum were not happy about it,”

“I was hurt,” Mrs. Franny Annan briefly tells Opensuo Radio.

The former WAFA goalkeeper only got the opportunity in the posts in an FA Cup against Asokwa Deportivo, whete the Porcupine Warriors succumbed to a 2-1 defeat.

READ MORE:https://footy.ghpush.com/felix-annan-vows-to-reclaim-number-one-spot/

However , he has revealed in an interview that he does not regret holding his marriage ceremony at that moment since the date was proposed before the commencement of the suspended season.

Football activities are on hold due to the outbreak of the deadly COVID-19 pandemic.